By Paul Kengor
at the same time historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the tip of the chilly conflict, they've got didn't realize the intensity or value of the bond that built among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed pupil and bestselling writer Paul Kengor alterations that. during this interesting publication, he unearths a novel bond—which incorporated a religious connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II virtually didn’t be able to forge this courting: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death studies introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the manufactured from years of study. in accordance with Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his specific entry to Reagan insiders, the ebook finds:
- The inside of tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new details at the test on John Paul II’s existence, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow in the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the non secular bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately mentioned the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan grew to become intensely drawn to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the suggested apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day sooner than John Paul II used to be shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR can have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again whilst information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan known as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself informed Polish viewers that the pope used to be his “best friend.” in case you learn this publication, you'll comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a very best objective—and in doing so that they replaced history.
Read Online or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Similar ideologies books
This e-book brings jointly the conceptual and theoretical writings of Joseph Schumpeter, Robert A. Dahl, Guillermo O’Donnell, and T. H. Marshall. It demonstrates that the majority of different conceptions of democracy within the democratization literature may be ordered in a single systematic regime typology that distinguishes among ‘thinner’ and ‘thicker’ definitions of democracy.
Virtually nowhere are politics and historical past so in detail certain up as in eire. Over the process numerous hundred years rival political and spiritual camps have formed their identities in accordance with specific interpretations in their shared background. As such, any re-evaluation and revision of Irish heritage has the aptitude to have a really actual influence upon wider society.
Hannah Arendt used to be probably the most unique and influential social and political theorists of the 20 th century. This quantity brings jointly crucial English-language essays of the earlier 30 years on Arendt's distinct and lasting contributions to social and political philosophy.
The 2016 election of Donald J. Trump uncovered a deep divide in American politics and tradition, one who pollsters and pundits did not appear to notice used to be there. yet Trump did, and he used it to his virtue in ways in which stunned approximately each person, even those that voted for him. probably the largest query on many people's minds is how, precisely, did a crass, unrepentant truth television superstar and cutthroat enterprise rich person safe nearly all of the spiritual conservative vote?
- McCarthyism: The Realities, Delusions and Politics Behind the 1950s Red Scare (Critical Moments in American History)
- PROGRESSIVISM - AND AFTER (1914)
- Right-wing Extremism in the Twenty-first Century (Political Violence)
- The Little Book of Revolution: A Distributive Strategy for Democracy
- The New American Century: Crisis, Endurance, and the Future of the United States
Extra info for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor